Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sugarless Banana Bread Recipe

This is posted a months after I should have posted.  Oh well.  It's still useful.  :)

I wanted to make a healthy cake for my daughter's cake smash photo session, so I scoured the web until I found a sugarless banana bread recipe that didn't use those terrible fake sweeteners (that are COMPLETE neurotoxins).  Luckily it didn't take too long for me to come across a recipe that used zero sugar and no other type of sweetener, except the sweetness of the actual bananas.

My daughter is almost two, so I try my best to avoid sugary products when I feed her.  She doesn't even get juice because not only are those empty calories, but they promote tooth decay.  Anyway, like I said, I found a recipe from Shape's website.  I changed a couple of things to suit what I wanted (ie. no adding vegetable oil or pumpkin pie spice).



Sugarless Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for pan
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder



For the icing, I needed a butter cream icing recipe, so I found a yummy classic vanilla buttercream frosting recipe from Savory Sweet Life.  After mixing all of the ingredients together, I then added green food colouring to the mixture because I wanted green icing for the top of my cake.  NOTE:  I would have preferred to have not used sugar, but I didn't plan well enough to search what I would need for a sugar substitute (fake sweeteners are NOT an option). 

Anyway, I used the Wilton giant cupcake pan as I wanted a giant cupcake to use for my daughter's cake smash photo session.



Side note for using the Wilton giant cupcake pan:
  • 6 cups of batter
  • Each pan should be filled up to 2/3 full with batter to leave room to rise.
  • Preheat oven to 325 F 
  • Grease pan & pour in cake mix 
  • Bake for 60-70 minutes or do toothpick test to make sure it's done 
  • After cooling, turn cake pan over to release each cake onto a plate. (If it gets a little stuck, use a rubber spachula to release).
  • Apply frosting between both cake pieces in order to keep them sticking together.

Enjoy more photos from my daughter's cake smash session with my home made giant cupcake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...