Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Healthy oatmeal cookies for your toddler and child

Firstly, I must mention that I am not a nutritionist, doctor or dietitian.  I am simply a mother who has a vested interest in her daughter's health and will do what I can to help keep her healthy.  If you are like me, you are also very concerned with what goes into your child's mouth. When my daughter started eating food at six months, I would only buy her organic food. I know that not everyone can afford to buy all organic food. Heck, neither can I since I am no longer working full time, so the rest of my family ate regular food and I just bought organic food for her.  But now that she is older, she is starting to eat some of the same foods as we do and she still gets some organic food.

Another thing that I regulate a lot is my daughter's sugar consumption. I do not want my toddler eating refined sugar.  I had a local bakery make a sugar-free birthday cake for her, using stevia to sweeten it.  (Heck, I don't even give her fruit juice to drink because of the high sugar content, which leads to a number of negative side effects.) Any baby snacks that I buy, I make sure are organic and I still read the ingredients in the organic items too.  According to Vincent Iannelli, MD, who is a board certified pediatrician, "instead of juice, children should be encouraged to eat whole fruits", which brings me to what I wanted to share with you in the first place.

A couple of days ago, one of my friends (Thanks Jackie!) posted on her Facebook news feed about a sugar-free oatmeal cookie recipe, which was originally posted on Dr. Don Colbert's Facebook Page.  Normally, whenever I hear about, or read the term, "sugar free", I immediately think that it is sweetened with those horrible, chemical sweeteners, which are complete NEUROTOXINS.  However, since this was posted by my friend, who is currently studying to be a nutritionist, I immediately clicked on the link to see the list of ingredients that I would need to make these cookies.   And when I read the list of ingredients, I noticed that it is a vegan-friendly recipe since it contains no eggs or dairy.  

Lucky for me, I had most of the ingredients. However, I did substitute Almond Milk with Soy Milk, since I didn't have any Almond Milk at home.

These are all of the ingredients you need in the recipe.  You can always add some stevia to add a little more sweetness.

Sugarless Oatmeal cookies 
  • 3 mashed bananas (ripe) 
  • 1/3 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
  • 2 cups oats 
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1/2 cup raisins (try to use the raisins that are not sprinkled in sugar or oil) 
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  1. Mix all of the wet ingredients together.  Then add raisins and oats and mix together.
  2. Drop a heaping spoon full for each cookie onto a lightly greased pan (or use parchment paper.)
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven.  (My oven bakes them in 16 minutes.)
(Yields 2 dozen cookies.)

Side Note:  Cinnamon has HUGE health benefits as do oats

After I made the cookies and let them cool, I fed them to my 15 month old daughter.  She really liked them, but I didn't doubt that she would since all of the ingredients are in her normal diet (minus soy milk.)  Although too much soy in a person's diet is never good, having only 1/4 cup in an entire batter is fine by me.

I must give one disclaimer about his recipe.  Personally, I found these cookies far too bland for my liking (ie. not sweet enough).  However, I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, so I am used to eating really sweet things AND it can easily be remedied by adding some Stevia, which is a natural sweetener.  But I must say that since there is no added sugar (except for what is found in the fruit) I am completely ok with my daughter eating this as a snack or small meal.  And since I do not give her sweets (she didn't even get a sugary cake for her first birthday), she has not developed a major sweet tooth like far too many babies and young children have with their families giving them cakes, candies, chocolate, etc.  

So I hope that you will try out this recipe and make a healthy treat for your kiddies.  

(P.S.  My daughter is currently sitting in my lap eating this healthy snack as I type this.)

Mash bananas and apple sauce together.
After mixing all wet ingredients together, add raisins and oatmeal.
 The cookies end up with a brown colour due to so much cinnamon in the batter.

1 comment:

  1. A vested interest in her daughter's health and will do what I can to help keep her healthy. home remedies log - home remedies for runny nose

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...