Monday, March 25, 2013

How to make a fun photography backdrop

Since I am a portrait photographer I am always on the lookout for affordable backdrops in order to provide a variety of backdrops for my portrait photography.  Since I photograph babies and children I like to have colourful, fun backdrops.

I went to Fabricland and looked around at their discounted fabrics.  I picked six different colours/shades of fabric that I figured would make for a nice background.  They were only $3.50/m, so I got two metres of each colour.  I chose to make one backdrop with 3 of the colours:  pink, fuschia and yellow while the other backdrop had blue, green and lilac.

I then ripped 2" wide strips of each colour lengthwise (to ensure that each strand is still 2m long) until I used up all of the fabric.  This process leaves torn looking edges as you can see in the 2nd photo below, but it really doesn't matter since (at least for me) the backdrop will mostly be out of focus.  And even if your background is still in focus, the jagged edges add more flare to the funky looking backdrop.  At least I think so.

Once all of the fabric is torn into 2" wide strips (2m long), take one strip and fold it in half so that it is now 1m in length.  Take the middle of the fabric and wrap it around a piece of string and then loop the rest of the fabric through the loop so that it is now looped onto the string.  

I tried to make the colours look a bit random instead of making them stay in the exact same colour lineup such as pink, fuschia, yellow, pink, fuschia, yellow, etc.  As you can see, some the of the colours double up to add a bit of variety.  However, you can do whatever you like.
 
Make sure to leave extra string on either side of your backdrop so that you can attach them to a stand on either side, if needed. However, I chose to just attach them to pins on the wall for these photo shoots.

What the actual backdrop looks like hanging on the wall.   
Close up of how fabric is looped onto a string.
What the backdrop looks like when used in portraiture at f /1.8
The bright colours add some fun to a baby portrait.














This is the other backdrop colour combination that I made.

8 comments:

  1. I love them both and I'm going to have to make a backdrop like that. I was just thingking this morning that I need to take a current photo of my kids and I usually use the plain white backdrop which seems a little boring now. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower. I found you on Martha Monda's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like my homemade backdrops. I think I might make a few more since they are so fun and easy to use. And thanks for following me. I just started following you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! Too cute!
    I would love if you link this to my party:
    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2013/03/paper-crafts-projects-and-link-party.html
    XOXO
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Just featured you here:

    http://lifewithleahy.blogspot.com/2013/03/5-fabulous-friday-finds.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sarah! That is SO exciting! It's my first feature. :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...