Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Live in the Moment

Happy new year! As like most people, I try to come up with a few new year's resolutions to help me to be a better and happier person. I think that one of my 2013 New Year's resolutions will be to live more in the moment. That is no small task for me, but I think that it is very important so that I do not miss out on all of those wonderful moments with my precious baby girl and family. I will tell you how I came to make this decision.

This past Saturday afternoon I went out with my husband, stepson and daughter to go enjoy the beauty of winter. It was fairly warm with no wind. And with overcast skies, the photographer in me couldn't help but notice that it was perfect lighting conditions for photos. I was going to take out my professional camera, but the batteries were dead and needed to be recharged. So, instead, I took out my little point and shoot camera, slipped it into my coat pocket and went out to enjoy the winter wonderland with the family.

My husband got out an old sled so that he could pull our daughter around in the snow with it. Professional camera or not, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a short video of my husband pulling my daughter on the sled for the first time. I began to make a video and a few seconds into it, my card registered as full. Crap! I immediately started to go through what I could quickly delete in order to make room to make another video or at least take some snap shots. While I was standing in the snow desperately deleting enough videos and photos to make more room on my memory card, my husband, stepson and daughter were moving farther and farther away from me. Then my husband shouted back at me, "Be in the moment!" He was right. Instead of living all of the great moments behind a camera trying to capture them, I should also learn to really LIVE in the moment too and so that I can also savour those precious moments WHILE they are happening--not try to live them through the photos later on once uploaded to my computer.

I think that all of us need to learn to be in the moment. We are all so wired in these days, whether it's our phones, internet, cameras, etc. that we are actually missing out on life's moments. They could be every day moments like a family outing or special occasion moments like wedding ceremonies. Either way, we are missing out on real moments that could have been genuine memories for us, instead of artificial moments that we look at later on a screen.

I am glad that I didn't end up taking my professional camera out with me, because then I would not have even been in any of the moments because all I would have been thinking about would have been what would be the best aperture, shutter speed and white balance to get the best shots of the moments. At least with a little point and shoot camera, I could just take snap shots here and there and also allow myself to actually be in the moment.

I hope that you too will learn to live in the moment too. Smell it. Taste it. Savour it because each one of those unique moments won't come around again.






2 comments:

  1. Words to live by! I think the world would be such a better place if we could all do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sentence "Linda had a little lamb"She is tooo cute.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...