Wednesday, January 9, 2013

25 Things that I am grateful for

I think that most people in first world nations think that if they have more than what they already have then they will be happier than they already are.  So many people (including myself at times) fall into the trap of: 'If I had more money, a bigger house, a nicer car, made X amount of dollars per year', etc., etc. that this would bring them the happiness that they want.  However, if this was true, why is it that so many people in poorer countries are happier than we are?  I think it's because they are truly grateful for the little that they do have.  You know the saying, "Money can't buy happiness".  Well, it is 100% true.  Happiness is not about what we own; it is about appreciating what we already have.  We need to have an attitude of gratitude.

In thinking about gratitude, I can't help but think of the song Count Your Blessings by Johnson Oatman Jr.:

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Refrain:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

For anyone who really doesn't think that they have much to be happy about, I challenge you to take a pen and paper and think long and hard about what you are truly grateful for.  Perhaps you could hang this list somewhere where you will see it every day in order to remind you about all of the things that you already DO have so that you will not dwell so much on what you DO NOT have.  We are much happier when we look for the silver lining in our lives, instead of focusing on the cloudy skies.  And so, here is my list that I came up with of 25 things that I am grateful for.

  1. My Lord
  2. My life
  3. My health (if you don't have your health, money cannot help you)
  4. My family (my own family as well as extended family)
  5. My husband (It took me years to find someone as compatible & wonderful as him)
  6. My daughter (I waited a long time to have this little treasure in my life)
  7. My mother 
  8. My friends
  9. The gospel of Jesus Christ
  10. Being married and sealed in the temple
  11. Prayer
  12. Personal revelation
  13. The scriptures
  14. My eye sight (There was a time in my life when I was told that I may lose my sight)
  15. The beauty of nature
  16. Photography and my talent for it
  17. Growing up and living in a first world nation
  18. Being educated (the ability to read and write)
  19. The opportunities to travel (22 countries baby!)
  20. The opportunities to live/work abroad (South Korea & Japan)
  21. Having enough money for all of life's necessities (food, shelter, paying bills)
  22. Living in modern times (cars, washing machine/dryer, dish washer, heating, electricity)
  23. Four seasons
  24. The kindness of others
  25. *Growing up without a computer or the internet
*I am SO glad that I did not have the distraction of the internet or computer to keep me from doing real activities, like reading, writing in my journal, talking to friends on the phone or in person, playing outside, playing games and sports, dancing, hiking, actually going out and socializing with friends and the list goes on and on...


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the blog hop! Would love for you to follow along :)

    Lauren
    www.millermemoires.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda! Love your list! We have soooo much to be thankful for! Thanks for linking up...have a blessed evening!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do have so much to be thankful for. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...